When it comes to cooking a warm, delicious meal in the dead of winter, nothing makes that easier than a slow cooker. And while it’s usually pretty hard to mess up a slow cooker meal, there are ways. Chef Carla Hall has some pretty great tips to help you out though.
10 Slow Cooker Tips From Chef Carla Hall:
- Sear your meat first.
- Use less liquid than a regular cooking method, unless it is pasta, rice or beans.
- Use less salt.
- It’s okay to use cheaper, tougher pieces of meat.
- Add soft vegetables at the end of cooking.
- Add dairy at the end.
- Braising recipes are perfect for a slow cooker.
- Certain kinds of seafood should be added at the very end.
- Fresh vegetables are great for the slow cooker.
- Frozen or canned vegetables should be added at the end.